Re-Arranging of Planted Tank’s Layout

This mini revamp might have been overdue for over four months, considering that I didn’t have time or motivation to do much with our aquarium since the arrival of our son Darius (see our Baby of Love blog for more information), except the routine feeding and water change regimes (even the frequency of water change has been reduced).

It was after borrowing several aquarium-related books from the community library recently that got my hyped up about my aquarium hobby again.

Besides getting a Betta to add to our community tank, I would also like to make some re-arrangements to the layout of our main planted tank, since it’s getting a little boring looking at the same layout day in day out.

I sketched a simple layout on how the new layout should look like, noting that some of the bigger plants in the tank should not be moved, since they already had their roots well established at their current locations. Instead, I would focus on shifting the two pieces of existing driftwoods and some smaller plants, while addding on another few pieces of driftwoods to form a hill-like structure on the left portion of the tank.

Some stones would also be added to cover part of the substrate, so the bottom won’t look so dull with its whitish substrate. Previously, I have tried to plant some carpet plants (HC, glosso, hairgrass etc) but none was successful, so the easier alternative will be to place some stones instead.

Knowing what were the items I needed to get, I proceeded down to the LFS in Yishun.

I rummaged through the pile of driftwoods on sale, which were priced according to their weight and size. I finally decided on two long pieces which could be placed side by side vertically to form a hill-like structure. I also purchased a bag of brownish stones and two plants. Our Betta was also bought there.

Bringing all these things home, I started to wash the driftwood thoroughly before placing them as how I’ve sketched out. Though the outcome was not exactly how I had thought it would turn out, I was still quite satisfied with the outlook. Since I didn’t have enough driftwood to fill up the entire 3-feet tank, I filled up the bare portion on the right with plants and stones.

A few days later, I bought some Riccia and HC (not giving up yet!) to add on to our layout and hopefully these will survive well and help beautify the tank. Two new T5 florescene light tubes were also added to replace the two spoilt tubes (they probably have failed quite a while but I didn’t notice).

011208_hillview

"Hill View"

011208_gardenview

"Garden View"

011208_hc

Hemianthus Callitrichoides aka HC

The fishes appear to be liking the new layout too, as they have become more lively and are often seen swimming in the ‘garden’ region. I didn’t expect them to like stones that much.

011208_plantedtankoverview

Planted Tank Overview

New Carpet Plants Added

I went down to Aquastar at Yishun on Friday evening again (see Located a LFS at Yishun), with plans to buy another two bundles of the S$4.00 plants I bought the other day. After observing the initial plant I bought that day, we noticed healthy and lush green growth, and thus decided it was safe to get a couple more so we can decorate our foreground with these plants.

They are not exactly carpet plants, since these unknown stem plants seem to have capability to grow rather tall, thus more suited to be mid-ground plants. Still, they would look good when placed in the foreground provided they are trimmed regularly.

Upon getting the two new bundled plants, I simply placed them side by side, leaving a small gap between them, simulating a bushy fence. However, on Saturday morning, I decided to re-organise their location and placed them slightly slanted (i.e. not parallel to the front glass) and just in front of the driftwoods.

On the right driftwood, where there is a cave-like structure which the Garras seem to like, I have purposely place two bundle of plants on each side of the cave, thus creating a more attractive appearance.

So far the plants appear healthy, and hope they will stay that way. As they grow taller, I have plans to trim them off and re-plant them nearby so it will gradually become a full carpet for the foreground. However, we have qualms covering too much of the gravel as the bottom feeders such as Corydoras, Garras, loaches and the SAE enjoy scouting the area and having plants in the region might discourage them from roaming around.