Revamping for the Chinese New Year!

Wow how time flies! So it has been more than a year since I last updated on this blog? I must have been very laid back with my aquarium hobby over the past year… ^^|

True enough, our planted and goldfish tanks have been victims of my negligence for the longest period you can imagine. The CO2 tank had gone dry for more than a month, plants had been dying off and water change had been few and far between. Miraculously though, there was hardly any algae in the main planted tank despite the lack of maintenance; looks like our hungry Otto and SAEs were doing their jobs well cleaning the tank.

As for the goldfish tank, only the Oranda ‘Xiao Wu’ remained, who had been lonely and sulky since his companions died. The tank was also infested with algae.

As guilty as I was over the sorry state of the tanks, I was too preoccupied with the other commitments in life and had left the tanks, fishes and plants alone to fend for themselves. The only routine that I’ve ensured was to feed them once every night before I went for bed.

It was only over the last weekend that my wife Cat highlighted about the bad conditions of the tanks that prompted me to take some action. As Chinese New Year was nearing, she felt that I should do something with the tanks so as to bring in a fresh, renewed look to our home. Also, it would be inauspicious if we were to welcome the new year with these dirty tanks.

With all these as my motivational forces, I was determined to do something to the poor fishes which I am still very much responsible for.

On Tuesday, I started off by scrapping off the algae on the walls of the goldfish tank, followed by water change and cleaning the OHF (overhead filter). Following that, I turned my attention to the planted tank, siphoning the water (hardly any algae present to be scrapped off) and trimming away the rotten leaves of our Echinodorus Amazonicus (Amazon Sword) plants.

The next big task was to clean the external cannister filter for the tank. The last time I cleaned it, it was a year ago so it wasn’t difficult to imagine how dirty the filter had become. The water flow had been reduced to a weak flow of water due to this lack of maintenance and was affecting the ventilation of the tank. Surprisingly though, almost all the fishes in the tank were still okay despite all these; guess the tank itself had become quite self-sustainable biologically since it had been running for a while already.

It sure felt great after the cannister filter had been cleaned thoroughly, transforming it from a horrendous lump of dirt into one that was spanking clean. Of course the water from tank were used to clean the filter, so that none of the beneficial bacteria on the filter media would be killed by the chlorine if water straight from the tap was used.

By then, around 2 hours had passed since I started the cleaning process. I still had a task to settle before I were to call it a day — to fix the lightings. For the goldfish tank, one out of the two tubes was working, while only one out of the four tubes was still working for the main tank. Furthermore, the transparent protector for the light tubes of the main tank had turned yellowish, resulting in the tank looking dim, dull and yellowish.

After identifying the specifications of the florescence tubes and the amount I needed to replace, I made a note for my shopping trip at the LFS (local fish shop) the following day, and called it a night. Phew! It was already close to 1am then, and I still had to work the next day.

On Wednesday after work, I headed to the LFS in the adjacent neighbourhood, bringing along my empty CO2 tank for refill. It had been quite a long while since my last visit to the place.

Besides requesting to top up the CO2 tank (which would take two days) and getting the required florescence tubes, I also went on to pick up some fishes to add into our tanks. 6 male and 3 female guppies and 2 lionhead goldfishes were bought, together with some plants. I had also bought some fresh packets of fish food.

With that, I headed home and placed the plastic bags of fishes into their respective tanks, after switching off the lights of the tanks. This was to minimise any shock the new fishes might suffer while they were introduced to their new environments.

After about 30 minutes later when the temperatures between the waters in the plastic bags and tanks had been more or less balanced off, I released the fishes into the tanks, with the lights still switched off.

After our son had slept later that night, I started off with the tank revamp, which included cleaning of the plants and replacing the new light tubes for the tanks. I then planted the plants into the tanks.

These took some time but after seeing how much different the tanks looked after the revamp (too bad I didn’t take any of the ‘before’ photos), I felt a sense of satisfaction and revival of the hobby I once enjoyed so much. ^^

Planted Tank after Revamp

Goldfish Tank after Revamp

And so here are our current setups after the cleaning up. Hopefully I will be able to honour my responsibility to continue caring and maintaining the fishes and plants for the aquariums in the years to come.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s